If you don’t already know, Halloween is kind of a big deal in New Orleans. It’s sort of the Mardi Gras of fall. That means that folks here take their costumes seriously. Some of the best, most creative and large-scale costumes are showcased on Frenchmen Street – the place to be on Halloween in New Orleans. So don’t be left looking like a jerk with a bad costume because you waited til the last minute and there was only one Superman costume left in the boys’ section of Walmart (not speaking from personal experience, or anything). As we approach All Hallows’ Eve, use this guide to the top 5 costume shops in New Orleans and stand out in the crowd.
1. Miss Claudia’s Vintage Clothing & Costumes – Miss Claudia’s on Magazine Street is a locals’ favorite for hip, 60s mod style and for unique costume wear. Mine for Halloween gold through their racks and baskets and you’re sure to find something no one else will have. They are open Monday-Saturday from 11 am to 6 pm.
2. Funky Monkey – This is a great clothing store for men and women to find cool vintage threads year-round and for Halloween they really pull out all the stops. Mix and match separates or pick from one of their available costumes from their special Halloween stock room (I don’t know this for sure but imagine they have a special Halloween vault they don’t open till October). Funky Monkey also has all of your wig, hat and accessory requirements for the complete Halloween ensemble. They are open 11 am to 6 pm Monday-Wednesday; 11 am to 7 pm Thursday-Saturday and 12-6 pm on Sunday with extended hours leading up to Halloween.
3. New Orleans Party and Costume – Search the two floors in this downtown one-stop Halloween shop for the perfect costume. Their second floor is devoted entirely to costumes, categorized according to theme from “flirty,” “functional,” and “impressive.” I wonder if they have a section that compiles all three? Find everything to finish your look, including masks, props and make-up. The store is open Monday-Saturday from 10 am to 6 pm.
4. Uptown Costume and Dancewear – This unassuming store just a couple doors down from Ms. Mae’s is a costume jackpot. Their extensive selection of costumes and accessories will provide you the perfectly scary, goofy or sexy costume. Uptown Costume and Dancewear is open Monday-Friday from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
5. Fifi Mahony’s – This legendary wig shop in the French Quarter has everything to complete your look and give it that extra push it needs to be fabulous. Fifi Mahony’s has an extensive selection of wigs, cosmetics and accessories for any style – however tame or outlandish – you’re trying to achieve. They also have costume makeup kits that have everything you’ll need in a convenient all-in-one package. Fifi Mahony’s is located at 934 Royal Street and is open from 12 to 6 p.m. daily and until 7 p.m. on Saturdays.