The holidays are wrapping up and if you’re anything like me, I’m sure you could use a little time out on the town. Not sure where to head? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. This weekend you can catch Dr. John at The House of Blues, attend an upscale racing event at the Fairgrounds, see a few more Christmas decorations with the Cabildo’s Creole Christmas, see Dax Riggs at One Eyed Jacks, and cheer on the black and gold in the Dome! Cheers to the weekend, NOLA!
Friday December 28
1. Dr. John at House of Blues – Excited to hear something besides Christmas carols? Head to the House of Blues for Dr. John and The Lower 911 plus Coin Lake! The doors will open at 8 p.m. and the show will begin at 9 p.m. The tickets are $40 for general admission standing at $90 for balcony seating. You must be 18+ to attend the show.
2. Starlight Racing at the Fair Grounds – If you’re looking to get a little fancy this weekend, head to the Fair Grounds for Starlight Racing! This event will feature live entertainment, drink specials and live thoroughbred racing under the lights at the grounds. They’re even offering two very diverse events within the Fair Grounds in order to appeal to all audiences! If you’re looking for a chic club atmosphere, you can head to the Miller Lite Beer Garden to catch DJ Soul Sister and if you’d prefer a more sophisticated vibe, head to the Clubhouse to catch Category 6. General admission is $5 with an additional $5 entrance in the Clubhouse or Miller Lite Beer Garden. The gates will open at 4 p.m. and the first post is at 5 p.m.
3. Friends of the Cabildo Creole Christmas – Get your last bit of holiday cheer with a festive stroll through five historic homes dressed for the season in the French Quarter! You can also enjoy Creole Christmas presentations, Reveillon presentations and seasonal refreshments at the Spring Fiesta House at the top of each hour starting at 10 a.m. The event lasts until 4 p.m. and tickets are $25 for general admission and $20 for FOC/LMF members. You can purchase your tickets online.
Saturday December 29
4. Dax Riggs at One Eyed Jacks – Come out to One Eyed Jacks on Toulouse Street to hear the former Deadboy and the Elephantmen frontman play an acoustic show at One Eyed Jacks. The doors open at 9 p.m. and tickets are $10 and can be purchased online.
Sunday December 30
5. New Orleans Saints vs. Carolina Panthers – There’s no better way to wrap up your weekend than in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome cheering on the black and gold! Kick off is at 12 p.m. and if you can’t make it to the dome, we have a few favorites spots we recommend to watch the game around the city. WHO DAT!