It’s the start of a New Year and as you’re busy coming up with resolutions for a better you, NOLA hasn’t missed a beat! This weekend you can see the story of Hedwig and the Angry Inch, pay homage to Queen, celebrate the Lifelike exhibit at NOMA, catch Dirty Dozen Brass Band and the Soul Rebels at Tipitina’s and kick off the Mardi Gras season with the Krewe of Orpheus! Enjoy!
Friday & Saturday
1. Hedwig and the Angry Inch –This “gender-bender” rock musical tells the tale of a fictional rock band led by an East German transgender singer, Hedwig. The production narrates the life of Hansel becoming Hedwig, finding love and facing hardship. You can see the award-winning show and the live band, Whom Do You Work For? at 8 p.m. on Friday or Saturday at the AllWays Lounge on St. Claude.
2. LPO presents One Vision – Get ready for quite a collaboration as Michael Shotton teams up with the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra to pay homage to Freddie Mercury and Queen with the show, One Vision. The show includes Queen favorites ranging from “A Kind of Magic” to “Bohemian Rhapsody” and will begin at 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday at Mahalia Jackson Theater. Tickets are available online.
Friday, January 4
3. Friday Nights at NOMA – Join the New Orleans Museum of Art as they celebrate the exhibition Lifelike, an exhibit featuring lifelike presentations from the late 1960s to present. Staring at 5 p.m. there will be art making, music by The Pfister sisters, a lecture by Barry Kern and a documentary on Andy Warhol. The event wraps up at 9 p.m. but before you leave, make sure you check out Andy Warhol’s works, White Brillo Box and Yellow Brillo Box featured in the exhibition!
Saturday, January 5
4. Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Soul Rebels at Tipitina’s – What better way to celebrate the start of a new year than with some of New Orleans’ finest brass bands? On Saturday at 10 p.m., the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Soul Rebels will kick off Tipitinas 35th Anniversary Kickoff Blowout! The doors open at 9 p.m. and tickets are available online for $17 and at the door for $20.
5. 13th Night Mardi Gras Kickoff Party – The Krewe of Orpheus invites you to Generations Hall to kick off the Mardi Gras season and welcome Carnival! The event will begin at 8 p.m. and feature delicious food, an open bar, live music, and an auction benefiting the George Rodrigue Foundation of the Arts! Tickets are available online for $60 or at the door for $70.