Ladies, get your high heels and pajamas ready; LGBT friends, get your parade faces on; and all-around partiers, get ready to drink and mingle to support some great causes this weekend. As always, New Orleans is bursting at the seams with fiery events for each and every one of you, so read on to find out where you should be eating, drinking, and making merry this weekend.
1. FestiGals – This one’s for the ladies. A full weekend getaway (or staycation!) of New Orleans food, music, empowering “Diva Discussions,” and parties helps promote girl power and female bonding, while also contributing to fierce female causes. Some highlights of FestiGals include Friday night’s pajama karaoke party, Saturday’s laughter yoga session and Stiletto Stroll Parade on Bourbon Street, and Sunday’s drag queen brunch. Grab your best gals and join the party!
2. New Orleans Pride – Around the country, and even the world, June is known as Gay Pride month, so you know we’ve got our own New Orleans Pride planned. This weekend’s celebration is meant to create unity in all communities, so the LGBT crowd and LGBT-friendly are all welcome. There’s even a family day of events on Saturday, as well. San Francisco DJ Robbie Martin will be kicking off Pride at Boomtown Casino on Friday, and Saturday night is the big parade. Sunday finishes the weekend with a bang on Bourbon Street with a block party packed full of live performances.
Friday, June 21
3. Generationals Album Release Party at Maison –This Friday, the indie rock duo Generationals will be celebrating the release of their new album “Heza” at the ever popular Maison on Frenchmen Street. While they tour the country with their electric inspired indie pop tunes regularly, this duo originated in New Orleans and will be ushering in their new album right here with us. Come celebrate another great release from this New Orleans band and hear some of their new hits in one of the coolest parts of town.
Saturday, June 22
4. GR4CF Fashion Fundraiser – There are not too many 10 year-olds as ambitious and driven as New Orleans native Grace Rose. This pre-teen is an artist and a go-getter… that happens to have Cystic Fibrosis. Rose uses her creative talents and spirit to host an annual event to raise awareness about Cystic Fibrosis and fund CF research. This year, at her GR4CF Fashion Fundraiser, Rose will show off her own children’s designs in a fashion show, along with an open bar for adults, a candy bar for kids, a DJ and food from some of the best restaurants in town. This event is not only one of the best fundraisers you’ll ever attend, it is put together by Grace Rose herself.
5. Bourbon and Burlesque – If you are looking for a little something to spice up your weekend, Saturday’s Bourbon and Burlesque is just what you need. This fundraiser for the Contemporary Arts Center is a night of craft bourbon cocktails and hot New Orleans burlesque performances. It also features cuisine from Dickie Brennan’s Bourbon House and lux raffle prizes from the best restaurants, boutique bars, artists, and museums in New Orleans. Oh, and did we mention it’s an open bourbon and food bar? ‘Nuff said.
Lagniappe: WYES Int’l Beer Tasting – Since there are so many great events happening this weekend, we wanted to give you one more to throw into your weekend mix. Saturday night at Mardi Gras World, you can sample over 275 craft beers and home brews all in one place. The 30th annual WYES International Beer Tasting event is the oldest and largest in the state. Dat Dog, Foodie Call, La Cocinita, and Rue Chow will be there to keep your tummies and taste buds happy so you can keep your wits as you keep on drinking. Why drink one kind of beer Saturday night when you can try 275?!