“I’m not a big Bourbon Street guy,” Anthony Davis said when I asked him what advice he had for fans who would be visiting New Orleans during NBA All-Star Weekend. “I’d tell them to get beignets at Cafe du Monde instead.”
Anthony is in his second season with the New Orleans Pelicans and is a star center and power forward. He came to New Orleans by way of the University of Kentucky after he was picked first overall in the NBA draft.
Anthony is only 20 years old, but he has already been described as “the face of the New Orleans Pelicans” and “the center of the universe for New Orleans basketball.” At 6′ 10″ tall, he averages 20 points per game! The last player under 21 years of age to accomplish this feat was Shaquille O’Neil.
Anthony is originally from Chicago, but has loved his time in New Orleans with the Pelicans. “The city welcomed me with open arms,” he said. “And I can’t can’t get enough of the food!”
You can see Anthony and other NBA stars in New Orleans for NBA All-Star Weekend and the NBA All-Star Jam Session, February 13 through 16. Of course, you can also see Anthony on the court for the remainder of the 2014 Pelicans season!
20 Questions with Anthony Davis
1. Who is your favorite New Orleanian, dead or alive, real or imagined?
2. When was your first trip to New Orleans?
I first came here for the SEC Tournament in 2012.
3. What’s the best neighborhood in New Orleans?
Metairie – it’s so calm and peaceful. I also like the Warehouse District.
4. City Park or Audubon Park?
5. Describe the best meal you’ve eaten in New Orleans.
Willie Mae’s— I ate fried chicken, potatoes and gravy, and mac & cheese.
6. What’s your favorite breakfast spot?
I don’t eat breakfast.
7. What’s your favorite po-boy?
Never had one. But I love gumbo! There is so much good food in New Orleans.
8. Where do you take your friends in New Orleans?
I take my friends all over the French Quarter.
9. What’s your favorite neighborhood bar?
AUTHOR’S NOTE: Anthony was unable to answer questions 9 and 10 because he is not yet 21. His birthday is March 11, so stay tuned!
10. What’s your favorite New Orleans cocktail and where do you go to get it?
11. What is your favorite snowball and where do you do get it?
I like strawberry snowballs.
12. Best spot to see live music.
13. Favorite New Orleans musician or band.
Lil Wayne, again!
14. Favorite New Orleans Festival.
My favorite is Essence Fest.
15. Favorite Mardi Gras parade.
16. Where do you shop in New Orleans?
SAKS Fifth Avenue at the Shops at Canal Place.
17. What is your favorite New Orleans museum?
I like the National World War II Museum.
18. Where do you watch the Saints play?
19. Describe New Orleans in one word.
20. When was the first time you fell in love with New Orleans and why?
I fell in love with this city when I won the National Championship with the University of Kentucky, and then again when I was drafted here. It must mean I am going to win another one here! Oh, and also the food.