It’s finally here, folks. Jazz Fest brings with it new opportunities in addition to lasting favorites like food and flagpoles. Everybody has his or her own personal fest ritual, sure, but we’re sharing our own Jazz Fest Bucket List. Who’s up for the challenge?
The Bucket List in Full
Dance, clap, and disco nap your way through the biggest festival of the year. Whether you’re a first timer or a fest veteran, here’s what to do:
- Drink a pre-fest Bloody Mary at Liuzza’s
- Arrive at the fest early and run to claim your spot at the Acura stage
- Design and bring your own flag and pole
- Grab a partner and dance at the Fais Do Do stage
- Snap a pic with a Mardi Gras Indian
- Meet a pal at the Flag Pole spontaneously – no cell phone planning allowed
- Splurge on the annual Jazz Fest shirt (or dress, ladies!)
- Nosh on some crawfish Monica
- Wash it down with a refreshing strawberry lemonade
- Head off the beaten stage path and catch a local performance
- Take in the talents of beading, woodworking, or basket weaving in the Louisiana Folklife Village
- Indulge in WWOZ’s Mango Freeze
- Snooze with a 30-minute disco nap, hat over face preferably on a blanket or sarong
- Take a 10-minute refresh sesh in one of the mist tents. Bring beer and make new friends.
- Sink your teeth into a cochon de lait po-boy
- Find your rhythm in the Blues Tent
- Art-gaze in the contemporary crafts section
- Take in the vibrant Louisiana culture and cuisine (and a little air-conditioning) in The Grandstand. Walk upstairs to get a bird’s eye view of the fairground and fest.
- Clap your hands in the Gospel Tent
- After fest: regroup with your fest krewe and continue the quest for live music at the Seahorse Saloon