I’m not going to sugar coat things. For me, 2016 sucked more than a Dyson and cost more than one, too. Yet I’m determined to not let the baggage of 2016 stop me from fully embracing the beauty of starting fresh in a city that’s been helping people let go for almost 300 years – New Orleans. So I’ve devised the perfect gay guide to letting go of 2016 so you can officially ring in a new start for 2017.
Let go of That Awful Boyfriend:
Look on the bright side – you’re single now. Let’s start practicing that come-hither face, because there’s gonna be a lot of hithering happening in 2017. Besides, there’s no better place to meet incredibly hot, gay men than in New Orleans.
- Go to Good Friends to meet fun, laid back locals.
- For a more guy-next-door, rugged, hunk of a man, check out the 700 Club.
Let go of Those Jeans That You Will Never Fit Into Again:
Okay, so you will never fit into those pants again. This is not the end. This is the beginning. The beginning of a shopping spree! And here in New Orleans, we have some of the best shopping around.
- Vegas on Magazine Street has some fun threads for a cool fella with a dapper spin.
- Friend, on Carondelet Street, has a relaxed vibe with a comfortable swagger. In fact, you could hit both stores in the same hour if you were so inclined.
- Billy Reid is style personified. And the best part, it’s a store that carries stuff for both men and women. It’s classic like Grace Kelly and perfectly put-together like Rock Hudson.
Let go of The Dali Posters From College:
It’s time to let them go. You’re a grown-up now for goodness’ sake. It’s time to grace your walls with real artwork. Plus, real artwork can become is not only an investment piece, it also makes for a much better souvenir than a feather boa.
- Rebecca Rebouche‘s work is whimsical and poetic. She is most renowned for her family tree paintings, which she does on special commission.
- If you’re looking for something a little more abstract, something that pulls you in and lets you find the story within, check out work from up and coming New Orleans’ artist, Cory Cart.
- For an investment piece, check out the Arthur Roger Gallery. The pieces really will really grab you.
Let go of Being An Absolute Couch Potato:
I love my Netflix just as much as the next human being, but come on – how many snacks can you eat in one sitting? Behold, 2017 is a new year! And just because you’re traveling doesn’t mean you can’t get your workout on.
- Located off North Rampart, the New Orleans Athletic Club boasts fencing, pilates, an indoor pool, boxing, a track, strength training area as well as cardio areas, too. Local hotel guests can get in on a day-pass.
- Franco’s is cool a gym located on Magazine Street. It’s even rumored Ryan Reynolds worked out here while shooting one of his films.