No judgment if you’re in Mardi Gras mending mode this weekend. But if you’re still keen to get out there and enjoy springtime in New Orleans, we’ve got five picks below.
1. Soul Fest — Free with regular zoo admission, Soul Fest runs from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Friday and Saturday at Audubon Zoo. Shamarr Allen headlines the festival, which also includes acts like Robin Barnes, Tara Alexander, and T-Ray the Violinist. Soul food from local restaurants, international crafts for kids, and health information tables round out the festive atmosphere. Find more information about zoo ticket prices online.
2. New Orleans Pelicans vs. San Antonio Spurs — With new addition Demarcus Cousins, the refreshed Pelicans take on the Spurs Friday night at 8:30 p.m. Tickets online from $15.
3. Hansen’s Sno-Bliz Opening — The beloved institution opens for season 78 on Friday at 1 p.m.
4. Weenie Dog Races — A different kind of thoroughbred hits the race track on Saturday starting at 1:25 p.m. Dachshunds race one another in this adorable trip around the track.
5. Nora Jones at the Saenger — Mixmaster of jazz, folk, rock, and soul, singer Nora Jones comes to the Saenger as part of her Day Breaks (her sixth album) tour. Tickets are pricey starting at $239, but worth the splurge: the Saenger’s beautiful ambience underscores her atmospheric voice.