Hop straight into Easter weekend bright eyed and bushy tailed! Two parades on Sunday are put a pep in your step, while the Crescent City Classic takes things on a healthier route. You can marvel at the spectacular Marigny Opera Ballet, or experience a Cajun tradition at Wayward Owl on Easter Sunday — or, start your weekend early with a beer event on Thursday night. All the details are below.
1. Orfeo — Friday through Sunday, Marigny Opera House closes out its third season with a reprise of their critically acclaimed production of “Orfeo.” The ballet recounts the ancient Greek myth of Orfeo and Eurydice, a romance doomed by the gods. Tickets are $25-$35 here.
2. Crescent City Classic — Burn off that Easter candy at the Crescent City Classic 10K, starting in front of the Superdome with a final stretch along beautiful Esplanade Avenue. Then, reward yourself afterwards with RaceFest at the City Park Festival Grounds. Registration for the run is $45.
3. French Quarter Easter Parade — The 34th Annual Chris Owens Easter Parade begins at 1:00 p.m. on Easter Sunday. The route starts on the corner of St. Louis and Royal, continues down Royal to Canal, turns on Bourbon, goes down St. Philip, then onto Decatur to conclude at the Omni Royal Orleans Hotel. Expect incredible floats, costumes, bands, and dance troupes. Free. Route here.
4. Gay Easter Parade — Later that day, the 18th Annual Gay Easter Parade returns to its original route for the first time in three years, beginning at the Armstrong Park arch at 4:30 p.m. and concluding at GrandPre’s. Free.
5. Egg Knocking Competition — Wayward Owl brings the Cajun tradition of “Pâques” to New Orleans with their first annual egg knocking competition at 3 p.m. La Monita Pop Up will be on site with food. Free.
Brews for Blues — Thursday from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m., NOLA Brewing hosts an inaugural fundraise benefiting New Orleans Police and Justice Foundation. Tickets are $30 and get you a plate of McClure’s jambalaya, an open tap, and live music. Door prizes will be given out, including a pair of Jazz Fest tickets!