Who’s ready for the weekend? With so much good stuff happening this weekend in New Orleans, we are. Go back in time with Stormin’ of the Sazerac at the historic Roosevelt Hotel and learn about how women first stormed a bar meant only for men. Take part in Museum Day Live! at one of seven participating museums locally. Get your fest on with National Fried Chicken Festival or Nola on Tap. If you like to groove, check out DJ Soul Sister’s free event at the Orpheum. There’s no down time this season, so see it all in our weekend picks below.
1. Fried Chicken Festival – This popular festival is back for its second year with more vendors, a bigger venue, and two days to savor all the fried chicken flavors your heart desires. This year, the fest moves to Woldenberg Park and will feature over 35 food vendors. Attendees can compete in the fried chicken tenders eating contest or watch a celebrity cooking demo on stage. Admission to the fest is free and doors open at 11 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday.
2. Stormin’ of the Sazerac at the Roosevelt – Pay tribute to the women who stormed the Sazerac Bar in 1949 demanding they be served too. This Friday afternoon event will feature a ladies-only three-course luncheon as well as live music, a pop-up fashion shop, and complimentary cocktails. Women are encouraged to don hats, gloves, and peep-toe shoes of the time and dress in post-war New Orleans style. Tickets are $49 each and doors to the historic Blue Room at the Roosevelt open at 1 p.m.
3. Museum Day Live! – Hosted by Smithsonian magazine, this nationwide event offers free admission to hundreds of museums across the country on Saturday. Seven museums are participating in the New Orleans area, so there are lots of options to enjoy the day. Visit the Smithsonian website for more information and to view the list of participating museums near you.
4. NOLA on Tap Beer Fest – Touted as the largest beer fest in the region, this one-day-only event features over 400 local and national beers. General admission for the event held at City Park is $5 with drink tickets $1 each. Join some 25,000 fest-goers and enjoy live music, games, and competitions all while benefiting the LASPCA. VIP admission to the fest opens at 11 a.m. on Saturday with general admission beginning at noon.
5. DJ Soul Sister presents HUSTLE! at the Ice Pit – Join the well-known and loved local artist DJ Soul Sister for this free event at the Orpheum Theater on Saturday. Known as the “queen of rare groove,” this event will feature the sounds that DJ Soul Sister known for. This 21+ event starts at 11 p.m. with doors opening at 10 p.m.