Have you been practicing your running skills? You’ll need them this Saturday as San Fermin in Nueva Orleans (Running of the “Bulls”) takes to the streets for the annual Crescent City version of Spain’s Pamplona event. If you need something a little more laid back, two different spots host free movie nights, and Tipitina’s Foundation Free Fridays returns for another week of cost-free jams. You can always gaze at a new photography exhibit at Treo, too, or help out local furry friends at an LASPCA fundraiser Sunday.
1. Summer Nerd Movie Nights — Our favorite quirky bookstore hosts nerdy movie nights every other Friday this summer. Tonight, Mars Attacks is on the roster starting at 7 p.m. Free.
2. Altered Images: A, Mostly, Photography Show — A new exhibit opens Friday night at Treo on Tulane Avenue. “Altered Images” shows viewers an inside view of the photographer’s eye. Works from Muffin Berstein and Irish artist Ross Muggivan will be displayed.
3. Tipitina’s Foundation Free Fridays — Another week of Tipitina’s free music series is here! This time, New Orleans Suspects and John Mooney take the stage at 10 p.m. (doors at 9). Patrons must be 21+, free.
4. Running of the Bulls — It’s the annual NOLA-version of San Fermin! Instead of actual bulls, the Big Easy Rollergirls take to the streets with wiffle ball bats. Make sure to keep up, or else you’ll get whacked. The run kicks off at 8 a.m. sharp at the Sugar Mill. Free.
5. Rock, Ride, and Rescue — Rock out at Rock ‘n’ Bowl while helping the LSPCA raise money for special needs animals on Sunday. From 6 to 9 p.m., a cash bar, silent auction, raffle, and bake sale will have everything you need to close your weekend on a happy, charitable note. Tickets start at $10.
Free Movies at The Orpheum Theater — Your movie experience is about to get a whole lot fancier! On Thursday, The Orpheum hosts two different free movie experiences with Moana at 2 p.m. and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles at 7 p.m. Free.