Around here, we love a theme party. Especially when that theme includes a signature drink of sorts – such as a margarita. After all, it’s not really Cinco de Mayo without a margarita, right? So, if you’d rather some solitude from everyone out enjoying the festivities throughout the city, you can have your own fiesta at home! You can even spice things up a bit by making a specialty margarita instead of just a classic. One of our favorite New Orleans Mexican restaurants, El Gato Negro, has so kindly shared the recipe for their extraordinary Pineapple Cilantro Lime Margarita, which includes tequila soaked pineapple. Does it get any better than that? So grab the ingredients below, and get mixing! You can even throw on a sombrero and scream “Arriba! Arriba!” while trying to hit a piñata if it makes you feel more in the spirit. At least that’s what will be going on at my house.
Makes 4-6 servings
1/2 cup pineapple chunk
1/8 cup cilantro leaf
1 cup ice, crushed
1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 cups pineapple juice
1 cup tequila
1 cup triple sec
1/4 cup superfine sugar
1. Soak pineapple in tequila, if desired.
2. Add pineapple chunks, cilantro leaves and ice to pitcher
3. Add lemon, lime and pineapple juices and stir
4. Add tequila and triple sec
5. Stir or shake for 60 seconds
6. Sugar rims of glass if desired, use lime juice or pineapple juice to wet the rim for extra flavor
7. Serve into glasses, over ice if desired
8. Drink immediately and enjoy!