Regis Prograis is the #1 boxer in the world right now (Interim WBC World Champion) – and he’s from New Orleans. His next world title fight is right here in his hometown at the UNO Lakefront Arena on July 14, 2018, but before the fight is shown worldwide on ESPN, we had to find out what Regis loves most about New Orleans. Find out which classic New Orleans treat this hometown hero has a soft spot for, what his favorite type of po-boy is, and more with our 20 Questions below.
1. Who is your favorite New Orleanian, dead or alive, real or imagined?
My favorite New Orleanian is Lil Wayne. I grew up on Lil Wayne with Sqad Up and The Dedication mixtapes, and Tha Carter. Around the time I grew up, everybody listened to Lil Wayne.
2. What first brought you to New Orleans?
I’m from New Orleans, so moms and pops!
3. In your opinion – what’s the best neighborhood in New Orleans?
I can’t even answer that question because all the neighborhoods be poppin’. It’s just in the spirit of our people; but I’m from the East.
4. If it’s a beautiful day, where are you going to spend it?
If it’s a beautiful day in New Orleans, I’ll usually just call my potnahs to see what’s the best plan for that day. It’s always something to do in New Orleans.
5. Describe the best meal you’ve eaten in New Orleans.
I’m a big fan of seafood so I’m usually stuck on boiled crabs, shrimp, and crawfish, but I just recently went to Larry Morrow’s new restaurant and the crawfish pasta is off the chain.
6. Where’s your favorite brunch spot?
7. What’s your favorite type of po-boy? Where do you get it?
My favorite type of po-boy is a shrimp po-boy. Been my favorite since I was a child. I’ll probably get that from Mandina’s.
8. You’ve got friends visiting, and it’s their first time in New Orleans – where are you taking them?
Usually if someone comes for the first time, they want to experience Bourbon Street. I’ll bring them to Frenchmen Street. And if they come on the right day we can go to a second line or Super Sunday.
9. What’s your favorite neighborhood bar?
Kermit’s Mother in Law Lounge. That’s Kermit Ruffins’ bar.
10. What is your favorite New Orleans cocktail, and where do you go to get it?
I don’t drink, so I wouldn’t know about that… Maybe after I win enough world titles I’ll celebrate with one.
11. What’s your favorite dessert or sweet treat in the city?
12. Best spot to see live music?
I’m not picking one – it’s impossible. HOB, Blue Nile, Maison, Tipitina’s… You can literally find some of the best live music in the streets.
13. Favorite New Orleans musician or band?
Lil Wayne, Trombone Shorty, PJ Morton – those are my guys.
14. Favorite New Orleans festival?
French Quarter Fest.
15. What’s your ideal New Orleans date night?
An ideal date night in New Orleans for me would be to get some seafood and go sit on the lake and just chill by the water with a snowball and listening to any of the musicians I just mentioned. Basically, all of those previous questions balled up into one date.
16. What are your favorite local shops?
I LIVE on Canal Street, Luca Falcone for my suits, and The French Market too. I used to go there a lot.
17. What is your favorite New Orleans museum?
Mardi Gras World.
18. Where do you go to watch The Saints play?
When I watch the Saints play it’ll usually be at a family or friend’s house. Hopefully this year I get more time and I can go to the Dome for most of them.
19. Describe New Orleans in one word.
20. When was the last time you fell in love with New Orleans, and why?
I fall in love with New Orleans every time I go back or watch something on TV. These questions helped too!