Corey Calliet may be best known for his work on Revenge Body by Khloe Kardashian on E!, but it all started in New Orleans for the fitness guru. Over the span of his career, he’s worked with celebrity clients like Michael B. Jordan and Angela Basset and lent his expertise to workshops and expos across the country. But Corey hasn’t forgotten about the place he calls home. We caught up with the celebrity trainer to find out his favorite spots in the city, his favorite New Orleans festival, and the last time he fell in love with New Orleans.
1. Who is your favorite New Orleanian, dead or alive, real or imagined?
Bryan Williams. He is the CEO of Cash Money Records. To make it to that level, he had to overcome so many struggles living in New Orleans. People say if you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere. Well, I’d say, they’ve never been to New Orleans.
2. What first brought you to New Orleans?
My beautiful mother, Camella Calliet. I was born into this world in New Orleans, La. RIP Mom. I love you.
3. What’s your favorite neighborhood in New Orleans?
The Tremé is my favorite part of the city. It’s full of amazing New Orleans culture.
4. If it’s a beautiful day, where are you going to spend it?
Algiers Point. I love it there because you get to see the whole city skyline over the Mississippi Riverfront.
- 5. Describe the best meal you’ve eaten in New Orleans.
Gumbo. Lawd, the flavor is indescribable. It’s this amazing soup dish that can be served over a bed of rice, and it’s just full of flavor!
- 6. Where’s your favorite place to workout in New Orleans?
I can work out anywhere in New Orleans. Due to the heat index, I’m gonna sweat like crazy. That’s all I need!
- 7. What’s your favorite place to eat a healthy meal in New Orleans?
Whole Foods. My city has great places, but Whole Foods. I might be able to cheat and have a beignet at Café Du Monde if I eat something in there!
8. You’ve got friends visiting, and it’s their first time in New Orleans – where are you taking them?
Oh that’s simple: French Quarter, no doubt. It’s so much fun.
9. What’s your favorite way to unwind in New Orleans?
It might sound crazy, but I enjoy doing cardio and watching my TV shows at the same time. That’s anywhere I go.
10. What is your favorite New Orleans cocktail, and where do you go to get it?
My favorite New Orleans cocktail is called, “A Soulja Slim New Orleans Daiquiri.” I know, I know. In the city, we have creative names for our daiquiris but they are really good.
11. What’s your favorite dessert or sweet treat in the city?
Praline candy. It’s the best, hands down.
12. What’s your favorite spot to hear live music?
13. Favorite New Orleans musician or band?
14. Favorite New Orleans festival?
15. What’s your mantra? Words that you’re currently living by.
You have the ability to control the outcome of your situation. If you just trust yourself and believe in who you are, you can do anything.
16. What are your favorite local shops?
A clothing shop name LIVƎ.
17. What is your favorite New Orleans park?
18. What’s the one thing you have to do when you’re home?
See all my family. It’s the thing that brings me back home the most.
19. Describe New Orleans in one word.
20. When was the last time you fell in love with New Orleans, and why?
The last time had to be July of 2018. I was in the city celebrating my birthday with family, friends, and people that I have met in the entertainment business along the way in my career. It felt good to be surrounded by so much love and positivity, in the city that raised me, around people I love. It’s like, in that moment, everything came full circle and I was able to celebrate in a place that once all I saw was a struggle. Mama, I made it.