I, for one, am grateful to live in a city that is never, EVER lacking in things to do. It’s never the same old stale routine. New Orleans is a city that will keep you on your toes, and this weekend is no exception. From oysters to girls arm wrestling, take a look at the diverse range of events that New Orleans has put together for your pleasure as we transition into the summer months.
1. Oyster Fest – If you’re like me and you recently woke up in a cold sweat thinking you may have missed Oyster Fest, fear not, because this shuckin’ shindig is coming up this weekend. Of the many things we do like champions down here, oysters are definitely one of them. Come on out to Woldenberg Park for local New Orleans restaurants cooking up oysters any way they can think ‘em up, including not cooked at all. This weekend of slurpin’ is set to the savory sounds of a hot list of local live musicians. Admission is free, so get your oyster fix before the season is over.
2. “Wicked” at the Mahalia Jackson Theatre – Folks, “Wicked,” the musical, is on tour and has been rocking our world down here in New Orleans this month. This weekend is the last of the New Orleans tour dates of this award-winning, record-breaking blockbuster of a Broadway show. You’ve got one last chance to see “The Untold Story of the Witches of Oz” at the Mahalia Jackson Theatre, so make the most of it!
Friday, May 31
3. Johnny V’s Annual B-Day Bash at Tipitina’s – This Friday, one of our local musical legends celebrates his birthday at the landmark venue, Tipitina’s. Percussionist Johnny Vidacovich is a name engrained in New Orleans music culture, and he’s played and recorded with New Orleans greats like Professor Longhair and James Booker. His annual birthday performance at Tip’s is a chance for you to pay tribute to a drummer who has been feeding the New Orleans music scene with his rhythms for over 40 years.
Saturday, June 1
4. Megan Hilty at Broadway @ NOCCA – When Megan Hilty isn’t belting in “Wicked” on Broadway, she’s crooning as one of the stars of NBC’S “Smash.” This month, Hilty has been working in the Big Easy on the New Orleans leg of the “Wicked” tour, and is hitting up the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts’s series, Broadway @ NOCCA while she’s here. With success across stage and screen, and a new album out, this girl is on fire, so you definitely don’t want to miss this performance.
5. New Orleans Ladies Arm Wrestling Surf & Turf Brawl – If I had to pick a phrase to describe the New Orleans Ladies Arm Wrestling events, “girl power” wouldn’t even begin to cut it. NOLAW’s events are, as they aptly describe them, “raucous performance-based competitions that empower women.” This weekend’s Surf & Turf Brawl promises to keep with NOLAW form, with a rowdy and hilarious tournament-style arm wrestling competition, interspersed with performances and antics from each wrestler’s entourage. The proceeds from this femme function will go to NOLA to Angola, a bicycle fundraiser that benefits the Corner Stone Builders Bus Project, providing bus trips for families in New Orleans to visit their incarcerated loved ones.