There’s never a dull moment in New Orleans, and this weekend is no exception. We’ve got some suggestions for some award-winning live theatre this weekend, as well as music from all across the board at the hottest New Orleans venues. Tales of the Cocktail is in town, as well, and if you’re not getting in on the mixology magic this weekend, you’re missing out.
1. Tales of the Cocktail – This weekend you’ve got a chance to hit one of the best New Orleans events all summer. Tales of the Cocktail is a weekend of over 200 “spirited events” all centering around the art and glory of the cocktail. There will be spirited dinners and lunches all around town pairing craft cocktails with cuisine from the best New Orleans restaurants, tons of seminars exploring trends and techniques in the cocktail world, tastings of the best, most unique craft cocktails and artisan liquors, and cocktail competitions and awards involving expert mixologists from around the world.
2. Love, Loss and What I Wore – This weekend marks the opening of Nora and Delia Ephron’s “Love, Loss and What I Wore.” After a huge renovation, the historic Le Petit Theatre in the New Orleans French Quarter will open its doors for new productions and new audiences, all starting with this touching show that follows five women through monologues recounting important events in their lives sparked by remembrances of what they were wearing. This production is not only a grand re-opening for the theatre, but is also a collaboration with non-profit organization Dress For Success, which helps to promote economic independence for disadvantaged women by providing professional attire.
Friday, July 19
3. Morning 40 Federation at One Eyed Jacks – New Orleans band Morning 40 Federation will be ripping it up at the ever-popular French Quarter venue One Eyed Jacks this Friday at 9 p.m. This local band has a jazz/funk/rock style that they describe as “drunk rock.” Swing by and catch their tunes, new and old. Also featured will be local rock band Norco Lapalcon.
Saturday, July 20
4. BASSIK: PANTyRAID at Tip’s – Winter Circle Productions continues its electronic music series BASSIK this weekend at one of New Orleans hottest venues, Tipitina’s. PANTyRAID, comprised of electronic DJs MartyParty and Ooah (Martin Folb and Josh Mayer), will be spinning tracks from their latest album “Pillowtalk,” including trap beats, dubstep, and synth sounds, all night long. The duo works out of their studios in Brooklyn and L.A., but are touring the country to sold-out crowds. New Orleans-native and Los Angeles-based DJ Quickie Mart will kick off the evening as the opener.
Friday and Saturday
5. “Killer Joe” at Allways Lounge – Award winning playwright Tracy Letts’ provocative drama “Killer Joe” has been going strong at the Allways Lounge and continues this weekend. Similar to Letts’ “August: Osage County,” “Killer Joe” is edgy, harsh, funny, and poignant. Directed by Benjamin Clement, this production filled with powerful performances is an exploration of dysfunctional families and aggression, and is definitely not to be missed.