This weekend in New Orleans promises a little bit of something for everyone, with entertainment choices ranging from theatre to comedy, country music, sports and New Orleans bounce. Head to the Marigny neighborhood for unconventional entertainment as Equus takes center stage at the Marigny Opera House and local favorite bounce artists perform at Siberia. Basketball fans will have two chances to watch the Pelicans play this weekend, and music legend Willie Nelson performs at House of Blues.
1. Equus – The Promethean Theatre Company presents the Tony Award-winning, controversial play Equus at the Marigny Opera House this weekend. The play centers around a troubled young boy, who has blinded six horses with a spike, and the middle-aged psychiatrist who is treating him. The show runs Thursdays through Sundays, now through March 16 at 7:30 p.m. Equus tickets can be purchased online with general admission for $25, with discounted tickets for students and seniors for $15.
Friday and Sunday
2. New Orleans Pelicans – The Pelicans play at the Smoothie King Center twice this weekend, first battling the Milwaukee Bucks at 7 p.m. Friday night, and then competing against the Denver Nuggets at 5 p.m. Sunday afternoon. Basketball fans can buy tickets to either game online.
Friday, March 7
3. Jim Jefferies at Civic Theater – Australian born comedian Jim Jefferies performs this Friday night at The Civic Theatre (510 O’Keefe Ave). Jefferies has performed for sold-out crowds around the world, and has recently been featured on his own one-hour HBO Special, “I Swear to God,” which is currently airing. One of the fastest rising stars in the world of comedy, Jefferies is known for his particular brand of comedy, which manages to both shock and charm audiences at the same time. The show starts 8 p.m., Friday, March 7. Tickets are available at civicnola.com.
4. Willie Nelson & Family – Country music legend Willie Nelson plays this Friday night at House of Blues New Orleans (225 Decatur Street in the French Quarter). The opening act is a family affair: Willie’s son and his band will perform as Lukas Nelson & Promise Of The Real open the show. Doors open at 7 p.m., and the show begins at 8 p.m.. Tickets are still available at House of Blues.
Saturday, March 8
5. SxSW Bounce Fundraiser – Some of the biggest names in New Orleans bounce rap perform this Saturday night at Siberia (2227 St. Claude Ave) in order to raise money to send them to Austin, Texas to perform at SXSW. Look forward to twerking to performances by Big Freedia, Katey Red, Magnolia Rhome, Walt Wiggady and more. The show kicks off at 10 p.m. Tickets are $12 the day of the show, or $10 in advance at SiberiaNOLA.com.