Summer fun in New Orleans is in full swing this weekend, as events around the city offer a variety of things to do, no matter where your interests lie. Opera lovers can take in new works in the Marigny at the New Fangled Festival of Opera, and Doctor Who fans can geek out in Kenner at the NOLA Time Fest. The Creole Tomato Festival in the French Market offers plenty of delicious fun, while the New Orleans Loving Festival celebrates multiculturalism and diversity. Party animals delight as Tipitina’s kicks off their free summer concert series and the 610 Stompers host a bar crawl.
1. New Fangled Festival of Opera — The second annual New Fangled Festival of Opera takes place this weekend, Thursday June 5 through Sunday June 8, at the Marigny Opera House. The festival was established to give a voice and audience to new works of opera as well as young opera artists. The new works to be performed this weekend include an opera about the life of a fictional transgender woman and an opera about a woman awaiting the Rapture from her porch. Tickets are available in advance for $20; $10 for students and seniors.
Friday, June 6
2. Foundation Free Fridays with Papa Gros Allstars — Tipitina’s free summer concert series Foundation Free Fridays kicks off this Friday with a performance by John “Papa” Gros, featuring Brian Stoltz, Eric Bolivar, Eric Vogel, plus Mississippi Rail Company. Bar sales from the free music series support the Tipitina’s Foundation, which provides music instruments and education to New Orleans’ youth. The event is ages 21+; doors open at 9 p.m. and the show starts at 10 p.m.
Saturday, June 7
3. 610 Stompers Saved By the Ball Crawl — Party down, Saved by the Bell style, this Saturday night as the Ordinary Men with Extraordinary Moves host a pub crawl with proceeds to benefit Animal Rescue New Orleans. The 5th Annual 610 Stompers Ball Crawl journeys through plenty of Uptown favorite bars, including The Kingpin, Grit’s Bar, F&M’s, Fat Harry’s, Superior Seafood and Le Bon Temps (in no particular order). Register online ahead of time for $35, or register and purchase tickets for $40 on the day of the event from 1 to 3 p.m. at starting point across from Grit’s Bar (530 Lyons Street).
Friday and Saturday
4. Loving Fest — The New Orleans Loving Festival is the local incarnation of a national multi-cultural celebration, honoring the anniversary of the landmark Supreme Court case Loving vs Virginia in 1967, which made interracial marriage legal. The 4th annual New Orleans festival features art and photography exhibits, literary readings, and an ice cream social. Visit lovingfestival.org for a full schedule of events and locations.
Saturday and Sunday
5. Creole Tomato Festival — The French Market celebrates their 28th annual Creole Tomato Festival this Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. til 7 p.m. each day. The event, which is free and open to the public, takes place on the grounds of the historic French Market. The festival features fun activities for all ages, including live music, cooking demonstrations and Creole tomato eating contests, plus of course plenty of tomato themed dishes.
Lagniappe: NOLA Time Fest – Local Whovians celebrate their love of all things Doctor Who related this weekend at Nola Time Fest II at the DoubleTree New Orleans Airport hotel in Kenner. The event takes place Saturday June 7 from 10 a.m. til 10 p.m. and features costume contests, rare screenings, panel discussions, gaming and a “Shoot the Daleks Extermination Booth” charity fundraiser.