Just when you think you’re going to have a nice, uneventful, relaxing weekend, New Orleans blind sides you with a body check. “It’s off season, in the middle of August – what possibly could be going on?” you exclaim. Well, a lot, it turns out. Prepare yourselves for this weekend in New Orleans coming at you with cupcakes, daiquiris, dancing men and more!
Friday, August 17
1. Tipitina’s Free Fridays with The New Orleans Suspects – The ultimate New Orleans supergroup, The New Orleans Suspects, will rock the sacred music venue for Tipitina’s awesome and generous Free Fridays series. The New Orleans Suspects are comprised of one member each from The Radiators, Neville Brothers, Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Outformation and the James Brown Band/Joss Stone Band. If you want to see the epitome of New Orleans musical talent for free, this would be the night to do it. Doors open at 9:00 p.m.
Saturday, August 18
2. New Orleans Daiquiri Festival – Daiquiris are kind of a big deal in New Orleans. You can drink them in a glass, by the gallon, through a straw, in a drive-thru or on the street. At the second annual New Orleans Daiquiri Fest, you can have the staple New Orleans cocktail dispensed out of machines filled with a custom daiquiri blend made by expert New Orleans bartenders. One of these machines will feature the winning 2012 recipe. Besides daiquiris, there will be music spun by One Eyed Jack’s and Mod Dance Party DJs as well as pulled pork po-boys from the Eiffel Society and gourmet street food from the Empanada Intifada food truck. The festival is from 3 – 9 p.m.
3. Cupcake Throwdown – Before heading to the New Orleans Daiquiri Festival just down the street, load up on delicious baked goods made by amateur and professional pastry chefs at the 2012 Cupcake Throwdown and Artist Cake Walk. The cupcakes and desserts will be available for purchase or to win in a $2 cake walk. There will be free cupcakes for kids in costume. All proceeds will go to benefit PRESS STREET, a New Orleans literary and visual arts collective formed to promote art and literature within the community with events just like this one! The event will be held at the Antenna Gallery at 1738 Saint Roch Avenue from 1-4 p.m.
4. Love Sessions – Long time friend-rivals Irvin Mayfield and Kermit Ruffins will compete in fierce trumpet playoffs at Irvin Mayfield’s Jazz Playhouse at the Royal Sonesta. This will be the first night that Irvin Mayfield will take on other New Orleans major league musicians in his Love Sessions series, benefitting a different community organization each time. See the trumpet battle at the Playhouse August 18-24 at 7:30 p.m.]
Sunday, August 19
5. 610 Stompers Tryouts – Calling all New Orleans’ ordinary men: time to prove your extraordinary moves! Do you have what it takes to be a part of the hilarious, auspicious and ever-entertaining number that is the 610 Stompers? Now’s your chance to find out at the 2012 auditions at The Maison on Frenchmen Street. To advance to the next round, contenders must perform a dance taught by a Stomper to the judges’ panel and an enthusiastic crowd. Tryouts will be held Saturday and Sunday from 1 – 6 p.m. Registration is from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Spectators may join in on the fun for $10.