Jazz Fest and live music take center stage this weekend, as performances spill over from the Fair Grounds to after-hours venues all over the city. The Zurich Classic is also in town, giving golf fans a chance to watch their favorite PGA pros tee off.
1. Jazz Fest – Whether you go for the music or the food, Jazz Fest offers something for everyone. As one of the most highly anticipated events of the year, you won’t want to miss a thing, so be sure to check out our Jazz Fest guide for the best in what to see, do and eat. This weekend’s headlining acts include Santana and Public Enemy on Friday, Phish and Robin Thicke on Saturday, and Eric Clapton and Vampire Weekend on Sunday. Single-day and weekend tickets are now available.
2. Zurich Classic – New Orleans hosts Louisiana’s premier golf tournament this weekend, as the PGA Tour makes its annual stop with the Zurich Classic. The event brings together some of the biggest names in the golf world, and features classic New Orleans traditions, like Creole food and local music, right on the course. Daily tickets and spectator ticket packages are available online or by calling 504-342-3000.
Friday and Saturday
3. Trombone Shorty & the Orleans Avenue at House of Blues – One of this Jazz Fest weekend’s must-see after-hours performances has to be Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue at House of Blues. Given the band’s unique blend of funk, pop and hip-hop, coupled with Trombone Shorty’s showmanship, it’s no wonder they’ve won so much critical acclaim and so many awards, including Offbeat’s Artist of the Year, Album of the Year and Song of the Year. Tickets are available in advance for the shows on Friday and Saturday night. Doors open at 8 p.m., and the show starts at 9 p.m.
Saturday, April 26
4. Pretty Lights with Preservation Hall Jazz Band – Electronic music band Pretty Lights joins forces with Talib Kweli, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Eric Krasno, Hot 8 Brass Band, and more for a spectacular show that’s not to be missed. The show takes place at Champions Square at 9 p.m. Saturday night. Tickets are available in advance through Ticketmaster.
Sunday, April 27
5. George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelic – Things get funky this Sunday night as the legendary George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic take the stage at House of Blues. DJ Soul Sister will get the crowd started, spinning the best in rare groove and funk. Tickets are available in advance for $40.