This weekend kicks off with plenty of summer fun in New Orleans, starting with a weekend-long oyster festival in the French Quarter, a Beer Olympics hosted by NOLA Brewing, a double-header roller derby bout, an adults-only rooftop pool party and more.
Saturday and Sunday
1. Oyster Fest – Chow down and jam out this weekend at the 2014 New Orleans Oyster Festival. Indulge in oysters served up in a variety of ways, while taking in riverfront views and live music. The event runs Saturday and Sunday from 10:30 a.m. until 6:30 p.m., and takes place in Woldenburg Park in the French Quarter, along the Mississippi River. Admission is free.
Saturday, May 31
2. Tune-Yards at Republic – Musical maven Merrill Garbus performs Saturday night at Republic as one half of critically acclaimed music project, Tune-Yards. Garbus has been known to create drum loops on the spot during live performances, layering these with vocals and ukelele, and backed up by Nate Brenner on electric bass. Sylvan Esso opens this Saturday night; doors are at 8 p.m. and show is at 9 p.m. Tickets are available in advance for $17; purchase day of show for $20.
3. Beer Olympics – This Saturday, NOLA Brewing hosts a Beer Olympics to benefit the Humane Society of Louisiana. Teams of four will compete in games of Beer Crossword Puzzle, Giant Beer Pong, Frisbee Golf Putting, Quarters, Cornhole, Flip Cup, and Ladder Ball, for a chance to win a NOLA Brewing Tap Room tab, a gym membership and more. The entry fee is $20 per person in advance or $25 at the door; the games kick off at 1 p.m.
4. Big Easy Rollergirls bout – The Big Easy Roller Girls host a home double header this Saturday evening, as the BERG All-stars battle the Houston Roller Derby Knockouts, followed by the local Crescent Wenches taking on Austin’s Bat City Rebellion. Doors open at 4:30 p.m., and the action starts at 5 p.m. at the UNO Human Performance Center. Tickets are available in advance for $10, or $15 at the door.
Sunday, June 1
5. Adults/Swim kickoff at W Hotel – The summer pool party series Adults/Swim gets started this Sunday from noon til 5 p.m. at the 4th floor rooftop pool at the W Hotel (333 Poydras Street). The party continues Sundays through August 24, and features exclusive cabana packages, DJs spinning house lounge music, giveaways, a small bites menu, and more. General admission is $10; must be 21+ to get in.