This weekend in New Orleans offers a whole lot of fun for a good cause, including two fabulous Friday night fundraisers: Emeril Lagasse and Donald Link’s Boudin, Bourbon and Beer and Raise the Roof for The Roots of Music. Get cultured on Saturday at Irish Fest, or indulge in gumbo of all varieties (including vegan options) all weekend long at Treme Creole Gumbo Festival. Not quite ready to say goodbye to Halloween? Head to Marigny to check out a bit of gothic theatre at Cabaret Macabre.
1. Treme Creole Gumbo Festival – A highlight of the fall festival season in New Orleans, the Treme Creole Gumbo Festival takes place this Saturday and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. both days at Armstrong Park. The event features live music by some of New Orleans’ best brass bands, an arts market and interactive creative workshops, plus a vegan gumbo contest. (There will be plenty of chicken, sausage and seafood gumbos served up all weekend long as well.) Admission is free.
2. Cabaret Macabre – Happenstance Theater reprises their hit Cabaret Macabre from last year’s New Orleans Fringe Festival, this year in a full theatrical production featuring live music and physical comedy, with hints of Victorian nightmares and gothic romance. Inspired by the illustrations of Edward Gorey, the show runs Thursday and Friday at 8 p.m., and Sunday at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. at the Marigny Opera House. Tickets are available in advance; $30 general admission and $15 for students and seniors.
Friday, November 7
3. Boudin, Bourbon and Beer – The annual fundraiser for the Emeril Lagasse Foundation is back this year in a new location. Boudin, Bourbon and Beer takes place this Friday at Champions Square, starting at 6 p.m. The event features more than 50 of the country’s best chefs, including Emeril Lagasse, Donald Link, Hugh Acheson, John Besh, Dickie Brennan and Susan Spicer serving up their take on a Louisiana favorite, boudin sausage. (Be sure to check out GoNOLA’s picks for 10 must-try dishes at this event.) Plenty of Abita Beer and Buffalo Trace Bourbon will be on hand, as well as live music by Grace Potter, The Lone Bellow, Pine Leaf Boys and Sweet Crude. Advance tickets are available through TicketMaster and at the Superdome Box Office.
4. Raise the Roof for The Roots of Music – This Friday, local favorite nonprofit music and children’s organization, The Roots of Music will celebrate six years of success with Raise the Roof for Roots – an evening of fun, food and funk. Hosted by Fleurty Girl’s Lauren Thom, the celebration will take place at NOLA Brewing beginning at 7 p.m. and will feature a live performance by Big Sam’s Funky Nation. General admission tickets for this fundraiser are available in advance for $85.
Saturday, November 8
5. Irish Fest – Take in a bit of Gaelic culture this Saturday at Irish Fest at Kingsley House from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. The event will feature traditional Irish music and dancing, plus a Gaelic football tournament, kids activities, a charity 5K walk and live music by The Poor Clares. Tickets are $12 in advance, or $15 at the door.