New York may be known as the “city that never sleeps,” but this weekend (and let’s be honest, every weekend) New Orleans really gives NYC a run for their title. With so much happening in New Orleans this weekend, you’ll be lucky to count any sheep at all. From the incredible live music line-up and Empowerment Speakers at Essence Music Festival to dueling barges boasting fireworks displays on the Mississippi River, two things are certain: fun is sure to be had and cities across the country will be green with envy. Don’t miss a minute with my top 5 picks for what to do in New Orleans this weekend!
Thursday, June 30th:
1. Ogden After Hours: Gypsy Elise and The Royal Blues: The Ogden After Hours Series combines two of the main ingredients of New Orleans culture: art and music. Come out to enjoy this bluesy, funky jazz group in an incredible venue.
Friday, July 1st:
2. Essence Music Festival (Friday – Sunday): The wait is finally over! New Orleans Essence Music Festival is finally here! Join national headlining acts like Kanye West, Mary J. Blige, Jennifer Hudson and Usher in the Superdome this weekend. There’s still time, so get your tickets today!
3. Red, White and Blue Jeans Event at Oak Wine Bar: Love to shop local? Love to drink wine? Two birds, one stone: head to Oak Wine Bar on Oak Street to sip and shop fabulous deals from Abeille! Event runs from 6:30PM – 8:30PM.
Sunday, July 3rd:
4. RX Bandits at the Howlin’ Wolf: Since most of you will have the day off on Monday, there’s no excuse not to live it up on Sunday night! Head over to the Howlin’ Wolf to see rock band RX Bandits on their farewell tour with Maps and Atlases and Zechs Marquise. Tickets are $17, show starts at 8:00PM.
Monday, July 4th:
5. It’s 4th of July! Celebrate the 4th of July with friends and family with our list of five fun and festive ways to spend the 4th of July in New Orleans. Highlights include swinging by Dat Dog for a hotdog, a picnic in the park and watching the fireworks put on by Go Fourth on the River.