The fireworks may be over, but the fun never stops in New Orleans! And even though it’s a short work week, we’re already looking forward to what this weekend holds in store for us! In addition to amazing live music, this weekend offers a little international flair including a French Film Festival and unique to New Orleans events like the running of the bulls that make you pause and say “man, I love this city!”
Thursday, July 7th:
1. Crescent City Joymakers Featuring Leroy Jones and Katja Toivola: Head down to the New Orleans French Quarter’s Palm Court Jazz Cafe to hear incredible jazz music that you can only find here in New Orleans. Show from 8:00PM – 11:00PM.
Friday, July 8th:
2. French Film Festival 2011: Don’t miss the opening night of the 2011 French Film Festival. Head to the Prytania theater for the opening film: Gainsbourg: A Heroic Life. Film begins at 7:30PM, Tickets are $7 for New Orleans Film Society Members and $9 for General Admission. Laissez les bon temp roule!
Saturday, July 9th:
3. The Running of the Bulls: The New Orleans French Quarter channels Pamplona as the NOLA bulls host the San Fermin in Nueva Orleans. Now, don’t be scared, real bulls are replaced by the Big Easy Roller Girls on their skates. So put on your white and red and get ready to join thousands of excited New Orleanians as you’re herded through the streets of the French Quarter by the beautiful and fierce roller girls! Olé!
4. The Glitch Mob at Republic: After garnering huge popularity and acclaim on the West Coast, The Glitch Mob has hit the road and is touring the country. Don’t miss this 3-man electronic group this Saturday night. Get there early to catch their incredible opener Com Truise. Tickets are $15 in advance. Doors open at 8PM; Show starts at 9PM.
Sunday, July 10th:
5. Tipitina’s Sunday Workshop Series: Come out to support the Tipitina’s Foundation at their Sunday Music Workshops where they give students the opportunity to play with and learn from some of the best musicians in New Orleans. This Sunday’s workshop will feature Tony Dagradi, Roland Guerin and Johnny Vidacovich. Workshop is from 1:00PM – 3:00PM. Admission is free. No smoking or drinking is allowed at the workshop so it’s a great family friendly way to introduce kids to a legendary jazz institution!