As always in New Orleans, the weekend presents a diverse lineup of events for everyone to enjoy, no matter what you’re into! Tipitina’s will be jamming with DJ Soul Sister, Santas will be running wild downtown, Sweeney Todd will be performed at AllWays Lounge, Patio Planters will host holiday home tours and carolers will be singing by candlelight in Jackson Square. Get ready, the weekend is here, NOLA!
Friday, December 14
1. DJ Soul Sister’s Soul Glo Christmas Jam – DJ Soul Sister is widely known as the New Orleans queen of rare groove and this Friday, she’ll be putting you in the holiday spirit with her Glo Christmas Jam show at Tipitina’s, with special guest headliner, the Hot 8 Brass Band! The doors will open at 9 p.m. and DJ Soul Sister will get the party started at 10 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door but you also have the option of bringing $10 and a new, unwrapped gift for a child to the show, which will be donated to the Metropolitan Center for Women and Children. If you’re not sure what gift to get, check their website for ideas.
Saturday, December 15
2. Sweeney Todd at AllWays Lounge – The classic 1979 musical thriller Sweeney Todd is being performed at AllWays Lounge on Saint Claude this Saturday. The masterpiece originally created by Sondheim will be directed by 3Penny’s Dennis Monn and will tell the tale of Benjamin Barker, a.k.a. Sweeney Todd in what’s sure to be a captivating, on-the-fringe performance. The show begins at 8 p.m. and tickets for $25 can be purchased online.
3. Running of the Santas – Now this isn’t quite what it sounds like. You’re really not required to “run” very far… and by that I mean you have to go three blocks from Lucy’s to The North Pole at Generations Hall. All that’s really required is that you dress like Santa and like to have a good time! General admission and VIP tickets can be purchased online or at Lucy’s from 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. every day this week. General Admission and VIP Tickets must be redeemed for wristbands at Generations Hall and Lucy’s beginning at 10 a.m. There will be a hottest santa contest, live performances, and a huge party to cap off the event! What better way to get in to the holiday spirit?
Sunday, December 16
4. Patio Planters Holiday Home Tour – As if the historic homes in the French Quarter weren’t beautiful enough to begin with, you can now tour them dressed for the season! The tour allows you to see many architectural styles beautifully decorated for the holidays. The homes are opened for a self-guided walking tour from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. and tickets are $20 and will be available for purchase prior to the tours at Creole Delicacies and French Quarter Gem & Lapidary. (A little tip: the French Quarter Gem & Lapidary location is the only one able to take credit cards.) The plan is that you enjoy this fundraiser before heading to our next event, Caroling in Jackson Square, where the winner of the Patio Planters contest for best Christmas decorations in the French Quarter will be awarded.
5. Caroling in Jackson Square – Starting at 7 p.m., Jackson Square will be full of candles and carolers for the annual tradition of Caroling in Jackson Square. Admission is free and open to the public and lucky for all of us, song sheets will be provided along with candles. It is recommended you get there at 6:30 p.m. when the gates open and don’t forget, you will hear the winner of the Patio Planters contest for the best Christmas decorations in the French Quarter at this event!