Festival season is in full swing here in New Orleans, and there is everything you could imagine. What better way to kick off the weekend than with Burlesque Fest? Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with community celebrations on Friday and Saturday. Get ready for an adorable overload with Kitten Yoga at Swan River. Catch the Saints game at Pat O’Brien’s Halfway to St. Patrick’s Day Celebration, and make sure you don’t miss Restaurant Week, which runs until Sunday. Check out all New Orleans has to offer with our weekend picks below!
1. Burlesque Festival – Burlesque has a storied history here in New Orleans, so there’s no wonder why there’s a festival to celebrate it. Beginning on September 14 and running until September 17, Burlesque Fest enters its 9th year with all the glitz and glamour it once started with. This year’s schedule features a variety of performances at different venues around the city. The most-anticipated event of the fest, the “Queen of Burlesque” competition, will be held at the Civic Theater on Saturday at 8 p.m. Tickets for each event of Burlesque Fest varies, starting at $30.
2. Restaurant Week New Orleans – Take advantage of the Restaurant Week deals this weekend by visiting one of many participating New Orleans restaurants. Restaurant Week, which kicked off September 11 and runs through September 17, encourages locals to get out and experience a cornerstone of New Orleans culture: the food. Whether you’re craving Italian, Vietnamese, or Cajun food, Restaurant Week offers over 28 cuisines in all areas of the city and beyond. Multi-course menus range from $19.95 to $39.
3. Hispanic Heritage Celebration – Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month with this free two-day festival hosted by the New Orleans Recreation Development Commission (NORDC). The free fest kicks off at 7 p.m. on Friday at the Treme Community Recreation Center on 900 N. Villere St. and continues Saturday at the Annunciation Rec Center on 800 Race St. from 12 p.m. to 9 p.m. Both days will feature music and authentic Latin cuisine, as well as bounce houses and a soccer tournament on Saturday.
4. Kitten Yoga – Do you love kittens and yoga as much as we do? Here’s your chance to bring the two together at Swan River in Arabi. This event, which runs from 2 to 3:30 p.m., starts with a 30-minute kitten meet-and-greet followed by a 60-minute gentle flow yoga session. The class is donation-based, with proceeds going to studio renovations and funding for the kitten’s mothers.
5. Halfway to St Patrick’s Day 2017 – If you’re not already headed to the dome on Sunday for the Saints game, catch it from Pat O’Brien’s Bar while celebrating the halfway point to St. Patrick’s Day. Swing by anytime from 12p.m. to 10 p.m. to partake in the festivities that include drink specials and Irish food. Admission is free.
U2: The Joshua Tree Tour with Special Guest Beck – U2 is performing at the Superdome this Thursday night in celebration of the 30th anniversary of their album, The Joshua Tree. Every song will be played accompanied by a video showcase that can’t be missed. Tickets start at $35, and doors open for all patrons at 5:30 p.m.