For all intents and purposes, the weekend starts on a Wednesday thanks to Twelfth Night and its parades and king cakes. Continue the festive spirit right on through Sunday with these other top picks.
1. Wizard World Comic Con — Anthony Mackie returns to his hometown for Wizard World Comic Con New Orleans, along with Chris Evans, Jeremy Renner, Hayley Atwell, Norman Reedus, William Shatner, and other stars. Events and ticket prices vary; head to the Wizard World website for a complete schedule.
Wednesday (Special Twelfth Night Events)
2. Joan of Arc Parade — The annual parade takes place on Jan. 6, honoring Joan of Arc’s birthday and our continued connection to French culture. Parade starts at 7 p.m. on Toulouse Street near Jax Brewery.
3. Phunny Phorty Phellows Parade — To call it a parade is perhaps an overstatement (the group “parades” in a streetcar down St. Charles, after all), but it’s a fun excuse to enjoy some King Cake and a beer at a bar along the street. Starts at 7 p.m. sharp; free.
4. Pakenham’s Final Supper — In honor of the historic Battle of New Orleans, the Bourbon Orleans hotel will host “Pakenham’s Final Supper,” a five-course candlelight dinner (served with wine) in the historic 1817 Orleans Ballroom, the oldest ballroom in New Orleans. Dinner is preceded by an open bar with period drinks; era-specific entertainment and historic reenactments add to the time-machine effect. Tickets $139.
5. Kermit Ruffins and the BBQ Swingers with Rebirth Brass Band — Ruffins was a founding member of Rebirth Brass Band, and he’ll join again for a performance at Tipitina’s on Sunday at 10 p.m. Tickets $20 in advance, $22 at the door.